11/29/2011

Why won't my computer read a 4GB Kingston flash card if it can read a 2GB SD card?

Other people asked questions on various topics, and are still
waiting for answer. Would be great if you can take a sec and
answer them

Why won't my computer read a 4GB Kingston flash card if it can read a 2GB SD card?My card reader is an old USB 2.0 floppy drive/CompactFlash/SanDisk combo, and it reads SD and CF cards just fine. I don't even use the floppy drive and so I have the power cord to the drive motor disconnected. Recently I tried putting in a 4GB Kingston flash card and I get the hanging hourglass and nothing happens. The card contains digital camera pictures, and it's not even half full.

I did recently upgrade my system to a newer Asus MB...I wonder if that is the problem. I lost the driver CD for the card reader long ago, and Rosewill doesn't supply them anymore. Whatever is making it work must be some generic driver. I use WindowsXP.

NoraCat
I recall I had an old laptop with a similar problem, to fix it I had to upgrade the BIOS.

The problem happens because (at least in my case) the computer was designed before there were SD cards larger than 2GB, so they never designed or tested it to handle bigger ones.

darkdragon31
Flash card? I'll assume you mean SD card more specifically because almost all cameras use those nowadays.

If it's an old card reader, it may not be able to read SDHC cards. Your Kingston card may be one of the newer SDHC models. If so, you might need a new card reader that's capable of reading SDHC cards. Your computer itself won't really make a difference.
If you have the digital camera, you could try connecting the camera to your computer with a USB cable with the card in the camera.

Share your answer? Leave your own answer in the comments! DIGITAL CAMERAS BLOG - Unbiased digital camera reviews, tips, prices, and advice


Orignal From: Why won't my computer read a 4GB Kingston flash card if it can read a 2GB SD card?

No comments:

Post a Comment